Google Summer of Code 2021 - CCExtractor Rust scaffolding
Initial Rust scaffolding
We want to port/rewrite CCExtractor to Rust. There are a a few reasons for it, some purely practical, and some philosophical:
- Rust is exciting, and this work is quite motivating for the team that has been working on it for a long time.
- Contribute to improve the situation of video support on the Rust ecosystem.
- Our code has grown from "I don't know what I'm doing" to "look ma, I support a million things now" and it shows. We can use the rewrite anyway.
- We suspect we have some exploitable code around. - We want a new generation of engineers to join us.
So with this project, everything starts. What we expect to get from it? Well, it's 175 hours or so of work, which depending on the point of view is a long or not so much. We think this is realistic:
- Change the build system to use cargo (of course).
- Command line parsing.
Note that we don't want a line-by-line port! Cleaning up and refactoring is important as part as this work.
The C code you need to understand is easy to read (no magic) and you don't need any video knowledge. You do need to know some Rust, but nothing too esoteric, so if you have some Rust experience that's probably enough to get started.
This project will be mentored by Carlos Fernandez who will work with you closely.